LANAP® Laser Gum Surgery
Comfortable, Minimally-Invasive Gum Disease Treatment
To treat persistent gum disease without the need for scalpel surgery, our doctors offer the revolutionary laser-assisted new attachment procedure (LANAP) protocol. The treatment uses a state-of-the-art laser that kills the disease-causing bacteria and delicately removes the damaged and diseased tissue from the mouth.
Drs. Foisie, Cantner and Miller are highly trained and skilled with LANAP, and Dr. Miller is a certified LANAP trainer.
Laser Treatment vs. Traditional Gum Surgery
Traditionally, periodontal infection has been treated with an invasive surgery involving scalpels and sutures. However, laser dentistry gives us a minimally invasive alternative to traditional gum surgery with LANAP. River Valley Periodontics & Implant Dentistry is one of the only offices in the area to offer LANAP.
You don’t have to worry about stitches or post-treatment infection because your gums aren’t cut with LANAP. The procedure instead uses a dental laser that eradicates harmful bacteria in the pockets around the teeth and gently removes the diseased gum tissue. The laser selectively targets diseased tissue and leaves your healthy tissues unaffected.
As a result, LANAP causes much less discomfort than traditional gum surgery, both during and after the procedure. You will experience little to no swelling or bleeding, and your healing time will be much faster. Instead of taking weeks to fully recover from conventional periodontal surgery, LANAP recovery time is usually less than 24 hours. Most patients walk out of the office ready to continue their daily activities.
Benefits of LANAP
- No incisions are made, and no scalpels are used.
- No cutting means no stitches.
- Patients experience rapid recovery time.
- Very little bleeding occurs.
- Little to no gum recession occurs.
- The laser is highly effective at disinfecting the area and killing the bacteria that cause gum disease.
- The treatment is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes.
- The laser promotes bone and gum tissue regeneration.
- The treatment is very cost-effective.